- Cloth masks protect you from coronavirus and help to reduce its spread.
- Even with a mask, it is still important to stick to the other measures to stop coronavirus spreading.
- Children under 2 years should not wear a mask.
- A good cloth mask has 3 layers (avoid T-shirt fabric) and can be washed in hot water.
If you are sick with COVID-19 or caring for someone who has it, speak to your health worker or hotline about what masks and protection to use.
Use a cloth mask safely:
- Wash your hands before and after using your mask.
- Ensure your mask covers your mouth and nose.
- Touch only the straps when you remove it.
- Replace mask if wet. Put in a container until you can wash it.
Do not touch your face or fiddle with your mask.
Do not share masks. If you do not have one, use bandana or scarf instead.
Don’t leave used masks lying around, they may have coronavirus on them.
Wash masks with soap and very hot water (60°C). If the water is not very hot, boil the mask for 1 minute to disinfect it.