- Having more than one chronic condition can bring extra challenges:
- You need to attend more healthcare appointments.
- You need to take more medication and may have extra side effects.
- You may need help looking after yourself.
- You are more likely to experience mental health problems.
- Aim to control each condition, prevent its complications and limit the problems that can come with having more than one condition.
Sort out your medication
- Take all your medication with you when you visit your healthcare worker.
- Some medications can interact with one another or cause extra side effects. Check with your healthcare worker if there any medications you should stop, decrease or replace.
Schedule your appointments carefully
Try to have your check-up and get the medication for all your conditions at once.
Communicate well with your healthcare worker/s
- Try to have one healthcare worker helping you look after yourself and all your conditions.
- If not possible, inform each healthcare worker about your other conditions, any issues that arise with each condition or changes in medication.
- Make sure your concerns and needs are heard. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Find someone to help you cope
- Learn together about your conditions and treatment.
- Invite them to attend your appointments with you.
- Make sure they know what medication you take.
- Discuss your healthcare wishes should you become unwell.