What can you do to have a healthier lifestyle? Work on one thing at a time:
- Eat a variety of foods.
- If you eat a lot, reduce portion sizes.
- Increase fruit, vegetables, nuts and legumes.
- Choose brown bread or rice or potatoes instead of white bread or white rice.
- Eat less salt. Avoid processed foods like gravy, stock cubes or packet soup.
- Reduce or cut out sugar.
- Aim for at least 30 minutes of brisk exercise 5 days a week.
- Try some home exercises in your home or yard.
- Do the sweeping, garden or dance to your favourite music.
- Do an exercise programme on TV or online.
- Walk instead of using transport, and take the stairs instead of the lift.
Don’t smoke or use drugs. If you need help to quit, ask your healthcare worker.
Stop or limit alcohol
- If you drink alcohol, limit intake to less than 2 drinks a day and don’t drink on at least 2 days of the week.
- If you need help to quit, ask your healthcare worker.
Have safe sex
- Have only 1 partner at a time.
- If you don’t know your HIV status, have an HIV test.
- If needed, use condoms and reliable family planning.
Take action to have a healthy lifestyle! Even a little will help to improve your mental health and control your chronic condition/s.