- The best way to prevent coronavirus from spreading is to keep separate from other people.
- If you have to be in contact with others, wear a mask. Those you have contact with should wear a mask too.
- Children under 2 years should not wear a mask.
Speak to your healthcare provider or a COVID-19 hotline about which mask to use:
- Medical masks work best, but are in short supply. If available, the
person with COVID-19, his/her carer and anyone in the home at risk of severe COVID-19 should wear a medical mask.
- If no medical masks are available, use a cloth mask.
Use a cloth mask safely:
- Wash your hands before and after using your mask.
- Ensure your mask covers your mouth and nose.
- Touch only the straps when you remove it.
- Replace your mask if wet. If using a cloth mask, keep it in a container or plastic bag until you can wash it.
Do not share masks.
Wash your cloth mask with soap and very hot water (60°C). If the water is not very hot, boil the mask for 1 minute to disinfect it.
Have at least two masks so that you have a clean one ready.
After you take off your mask, wash your hands.
Discard a used medical mask safely in a closed bin or sealed plastic bag.